The Hay Is in the Barn

“Just go do the damn thing.
Anything that happens, you deserve.
Maybe it will teach you something.” -Lazarus Lake

I ran my first ultra in 2011 and it wasn't until this year that I finally felt ready to tackle the 100 mile distance. We come to this place in our own way and in our own time. For me, it was time. I remember sitting in my car the first day registration opened for the Javelina Jundred back in February. I had the signup page loaded on my phone, the “Submit” button patiently waiting for my input. I spent the next few hours in a daze wondering what the hell I’d just done.

I haven't talked much about Javelina or my preparation for it. If someone asked me what my plans were I'd mention it but I usually wouldn't bringing it up on its own. I wasn't keeping JJ a state secret but I wanted to keep a low profile, at least until now as I write this, when it's nearly all but over.

The beginning of June was the official start of my training. I had a rough spring which started with an ill-conceived, literally and figuratively, decision to run the Crystal Springs 50k in January while I was sick. It resulted in months of subpar performance, my second Did Not Finish, and a confidence level that hit an all-time low. It wasn’t until April that I started to feel better and more like myself. It was a painful lesson I learned that sometimes some things really aren’t worth it. Putting aside my ego and staying home that January day would have been an infinitely smarter move.

I don't have a coach so it was up to me to figure out how was I going to do this. My training schedule was a mashup of information gleaned from Pfitzinger & Douglas, Bryon Powell, Nancy Shura-Dervin, and my own proclivities to mix fun and angst in my training. Since Javelina doesn't have a lot of elevation gain going out of my way to run massive amounts of vertical didn't make much sense to me. I thought working toward becoming a better overall runner would be more suitable.

So what did I do?

June to July

I re-incorporated workouts that I hadn't been doing much of since I stopped training specifically for road marathons. That meant speed training, VO2max intervals, and lactate-threshold runs. I wanted to be purposeful in my running and not just run miles to run miles. I've never particularly enjoyed these types of runs but now I actually found them to be fun. Kind of. I also did three races during this time period that I went into with Javelina in mind.
August to mid-September

I did no racing and focused on continuing to increase my weekly volume while maintaining the quality workouts. Building on June and July I was now often hitting 80 miles per week and peaked at 90. I did several back-to-back weekend runs consisting of 30 miles on Saturday then 20 miles on Sunday. The first run would be on the trail with moderate vert, the second on the road. I ran hard when it was called for and didn't when it wasn't.

After my questionable spring I was careful to monitor my resting heart rate and overall energy levels to make sure I was doing okay. My RHR had skyrocketed in the spring from my usual 47-50 beats per minute to 60+ but it was now staying consistently in my normal range. I felt good and had no problems doing any aspect of my training. I was having fun, exploring new places, and making measurable improvements.

mid-September to early October

I had three ramp up races before my taper. The weekly volume went down because I knew the intensity was going to go up. I always run harder in a race environment than I do in a training run so I might as well just acknowledge that and adjust accordingly. In the past my intentions to treat races like a training run were never followed and that always seemed to get me into trouble.
October

Now, finally, after all these months I find myself in my taper. I've worked really hard and if the 50k and the 50 miler are any indication I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I've managed to keep my body in one piece and operating like a well-oiled machine. I didn't have any illnesses or injuries or even any minor aches and pains to contend with to disrupt my training. I couldn't have asked for a training cycle to go any more smoothly. I’m going to run Javelina with no crew and no pacer but there are going to be plenty of people I know who will be there so in that regard I won’t be in it alone.

Were the choices I made good, bad or fall all over the spectrum in-between? I don't know and at this point, it doesn't matter. There’s only one thing left to do and that's to "just go do the damn thing" on November 1st and maybe I'll learn something.

Around mile 29 of the Dick Collins Firetrails 50. Photo: Belinda Agamaite

Labels: , ,